EXPECTING LIFE

Wednesday, February 05, 2003

MASTER OTA, SHOW ME THE WAY OF THE FORCE

I have an older than average student in one of my classes, and a few things became clear to me in class today. When this OTA talks, the others silently groan. Ota is fortyish, has children, and has decided to come back to school. It seems to me when anyone, regardless of age, comes to school, they are searching for themselves as much as they are searching for an education. All my friends back home notice the changes in me over the last three years, as well they should. We change a lot, in college. Ota makes me wonder what changes an OTA student is looking for. Why here? Why now, in this stage of life? Of the OTAs I have observed (and I know my research just became skewed, as all I have observed also share a common interest in writing, as well as a common age) most seem to be very open about their lives, and what direction they have gone to this point. That would lead me to belive they are trying to step out of it, and become something else. This, of course, is not too different from any other studnet (or person, for that matter) except they already have an established life, and are second-chancing.

I guess the lesson I take from this is to get it right the first time. I don't want to be an OTA, no matter how noble a pursuit it is.

~"Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't."

-
| <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>