EXPECTING LIFE

Saturday, February 25, 2006

EVERYONE IS A LOSER

At least, everyone that I watch in professional sports, sure is. And I think it may be my fault.

Take Tiger Woods, for example. I just give him a great review, talk about his competitive flow, and what does he do? Lose in the sweet 16, that's what.

Now the Timberwolves. All year I say, "They will turn it around." Then they flop, and I say it again, and again. AND AGAIN.

So I vow not to watch. But I do. With two minutes left, I turn on the game vs. Denver. We are down. Go figure. Then something happens. It's all tied up. Overtime.

WE get down four. I am about to turn it off, there just isn't enough time to come back. Steal, jump shot, down two. Hassell gets aggressive, no foul called, ball stripped, ally-oop, KG DUNKS!. Tie game. Stop, shot, up two. Are you kidding me, up two! We might pull this thing out. 3.6 seconds left, Carmelo trapped in the corner, foul to give. Hassell in his grill, shot's up, I know it, GOOD. And we lose by one.

See, that's what this team does to a man. Just when you think they are losers, and give up on them, they reel you back in. I mean, that was one hell of a defensive stand at the end. Two steals from two different players, and both good finishes. But in the end, they find a way to screw it up and lose.

And so it has been all season. I have talked about our record in close games, but this bears repeating: within the last six minutes of games, in 44 of the 53, we've been within four points or ahead. Yet look at our record. And look at all the collapses. Cleveland, the other night against the Wizards, now this. And the hits just keep on coming.

What sport can I watch where the participants actually WANT to win?

-
| <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>