EXPECTING LIFE

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I GOT IT

The job, that is. He called me back in for a second interview, and told me he had another very qualified (much more qualified than I am, actually) applicant, but he was unsure what he wanted to do. Then he asked why he should pick me. I told him to get the other guy in and we would arm wrestle. But seriously, the answer is easy. Personality. This is a sales job. Not so much for the customers, but for the vendors. I can chat with anyone about anything, and then get down to getting their product in our store. It's really that easy. As far as running a business, nope, I don't have an MBA. But I can learn from him everything he wants me to do, and at the end of the day I still have personality. Can't get a degree in THAT.

But I took a gamble. I told him this, "You should hire me because you want to. Or else I wouldn't be here. The other guy is qualified, but you like me better, and you are looking for a reason to hire me. You don't need one. You are the boss, you get a good feeling from me, hire me." OK, I told him that PLUS the other stuff. And it goes back to who I am. I am honest. Sometimes (see the post before last) it is a liability. This time, it was an asset.

I start Tuesday.

-
| <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>