EXPECTING LIFE

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

PATRIOT ACT

I would first like to thank my friends, Josh and Mike, for sending me these links. Without them, I would be completely ignorant of much of what is going on in the world.

This first link is about Cindy Sheehan. Any of you who read this blog know how I feel about her, and her attempts to parley her son's death into air time. I think she has gone too far many a time, and has whored her son's memory for her own gains.

But this time, I think, she is on the right track. Now, after my initial knee-jerk reaction, I went back and read this article, and the quotes from it. The whole thing can be found here, but I will highlight what I think is important.

Sheehan will run against Pelosi for a seat in congress, saying that Pelosi has not done what she was elected to do, that the Democrats have not done what they were elected to do, and that it is time for change.

She also wants to impeach Bush. Now, her reasons might be a bit skewed there, and off base for what is impeachable, but at least there would be a forum for Bush to answer for his actions.

The important part, though, is that first step. What makes this country great is that if you don't agree with something, you can go through the proper channels and try to change it. I don't think Sheehan did that in the past, camping out outside of Bush's ranch and making a big public ass of herself.

But now, she is. I say good. Let her run for office. Let the people speak and decide which person they trust, and which person is most aligned with their way of thinking. That is the whole idea behind elected government.

And she is doing this without throwing around the name of her son. The issue, centrally, is still the war, but that figures to be a hot-button issue in the election anyway. And she is using the government, and its agencies, exactly how they were intended. Even if I don't agree with her, or with what she has done, I respect her right to do it, and applaud her for getting it right.

Now, I missed a post on July 4th, and I feel bad about that. But, my longtime friend, and Badass Marine, Mike, sent me a post that has American Pride all over it.



USS New York
> >
> > It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade
> >Center.
> >
> > It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for
>missions
> >that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a
>crew of
> >360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by
> >helicopters and assault craft.
> >
> > Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry
>in
> >Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the
>molds
> >on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total
>rev
> >erence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a
> >spiritual moment for everybody there."
> >
> > Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the
>trade
> >center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair
>on my
> >neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said.
>"They
> >knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."
> >
> > The ship's motto? "Never Forget"
> >
> > Please keep this going so everyone can see what we are made of
>in
> >this country!

This is American ingenuity at its best. Recycle what they destroyed, and send it right back at them. I love the idea of it, and I love that it happened. It speaks to the resiliency we say we have, and we
claim as our highest trait.

Labels: ,

-
| <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>